Job Title: Managing Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Managing Director (MD) co-leads the theater along with the Artistic Director (AD) and reports directly to the Board of Directors. The MD is the leading financial ambassador for the theater, courting sponsorship from government, corporate and private donors. The MD must be visionary, creating and implementing the fiscal and administrative strategy to realize the theater’s artistic vision.
The MD provides strategic leadership and daily management to theatre staff in all areas of operations and external relations. In addition, the MD works closely with the Board of Trustees to provide strategic, forward-thinking leadership to True Colors with the overarching goals of sound financial management, assisting the AD in presenting artistic programming of the highest quality, and elevating the status of the Theater among its varied constituents and the greater community.
Administration, Fiscal Management and Planning
- Develop and implement management strategy and administrative policies that support the mission and advance the artistic and financial goals of the organization.
- Create and monitor the annual budget including all aspects of cash flow management and reconciliations.
- Manage appropriate personnel policies, compensation plans, and benefits.
- Oversee the design and implementation of annual employee evaluations.
- Provide on-going strategic leadership to the organization
- Lead and participate in on-going strategic planning for the entire organization.
Brand-building, Marketing and Audience Development
- Serve as the primary administrative spokesperson for the Company to the media, constituents, and the community at large
- Oversee the Company’s brand strategy
- Work with Director of Marketing and Board committees to monitor public relations, marketing and branding programs
- Oversee development including fundraising from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government entities.
- Oversee all grant writing
- Provide financial and demographic information for all sponsorship opportunities
Operations and Strategic Planning
- Oversee the creation of the long-term strategic plan with the Board of Directors, Key Staff and Supporters, and Consultants.
- Oversee the implementation of the strategic plan alongside Board committees and review goals quarterly with the entire Board of Directors.
- Attend all Board Meetings and present Board packages
- Provide clear and regular communication with the Board of Directors.
- Create and manage system to evaluate operating systems including management of financials
Oversee the annual auditing and IRS filing process in a timely manner
Qualifications/Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Experienced performing arts executive with particular expertise in theatre operations
- Ability to oversee all areas of production and operations.
- Strong working knowledge of budget and financial management
- Experience in developing, interpreting, and managing institutional financial statements Experience in arts marketing and development.
- Excellent planning, organizational, negotiating and time management skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to travel based on demand.
- Work under tight deadlines and in a team environment
Valuing diversity, inclusion, and equity are important core values for the right candidate.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, and retirement.
To apply send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Jenn McEwen at email@example.com